Sunday 24 April 2011

Time and Perspective

I decided to try and kill two birds with one stone by frantically trying to finish the Mumbai video clip I've been asked to make in time to submit it as my Time and Perspective Brief. I've been using loops to animate things like the falling rain and the movement of the waves, though I'm finding that collage animation is not really the best medium for looping. I had only done less than 30 seconds of the clip, so this week has been a crazy crazy mission to try and animate the remaining 3 long minutes (total insanity I know). What has become very clear is the difference between what we're learning in class, the kind of professional standards we are or will be subject to, and what I'm used to in my own creative community, which is much more relaxed and D.I.Y. My clunky collages look terrible alongside smooth professional-looking Flash animations and 3D character rigs! But on the other hand, the type of animations that I admire the most, and what really got me into animating in the first place, is not this slick professional look but the more hands-on aesthetic, like the work of Martha Colburn or William Kentridge. Here's some polar bears I made yesterday:

No comments:

Post a Comment